Domain Name Registration In India
Understanding of the domain name is really important before one wants to register their Domain names are used as a brand identity tool and to increase the chances of your website success; one has to have an easily Understanding of the domain name is really important before one wants to register their Domain names are used as a brand identity tool and to increase the chances of your website success;
Domain names also known as the name of your website is the face of your website. They are basically the shortcut to the complicated IP addresses. Domain Names are the names for the information’s address on the Internet and are used to locate information on the Internet.
Types of Domain Names
1. Top-Level Domains 2. Country Code Top Level Domains 3. Generic Top-Level Domains 4. Second-Level Domains 5. Third Level Domains In India, Top-level Domains on the internet are .IN and .CO.IN. and these domain names are made available to general public. India being a part of UDPR, the country has enacted the INDRP for better regulations of domain name. INDRP stands for The Indian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and Domain Name Dispute. INDRP has played a crucial role in minimising the issues of cybersquatting, hijacking and other internet-related crimes. Inferences for the same are made through the provisions of Para 6 of INDRP dealing with the mens rea of the accused or infringers.
Importance of Domain Names
- A registered and protected domain name provides you protection against any unauthorized use of your domain name by any person or entity.
- A domain name increases access value of your business from any remote place of the world over.
- A domain name can also function to deliver your product or service to your customers worldwide.
- A well-protected domain name is certainly immensely helpful for security, worldwide prominence, and profitability of a business,
Eligibility for Registration
Any person or business or professional entity may obtain protection to his/her/its newly created domain name in entire India under the Trade Marks Act of 1999 and the Trade Marks Rules of 2002, and all amendments made in these so far. The registration of domain name is available to both Indian Citizens and Foreign Nationals.
Procedure for Registration
The management and operations of .IN Registry are managed by the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI). IN Registry is now the official registry for registration but this registry does not carry out the functions itself, but through accredits registrars. The process of domain name registration of .IN and .Co.In has been made hassle-free, seamless and easy to understand. The process is quite simple and can be easily done by everyone. One can sign up for domain name registration by contacting the registrars to obtain the domain name .IN. The entire process of registration is done by the registrar appointed by the .IN Registry and is a transparent non-biased process. The applicant desirous of placing a request for registration of domain name of .IN or .CO.IN fill the application online and the name (if available) is registered in his name with 24 hours as per the guidelines established by the Government.
Rights of the Registrants
Registrants are basically the applicants who have got their domain name registered in their own name. In short, they are the owners of the domain name. To establish the rights of registrants, the following factors have to be established by the registrant: 1. Usage: The use of the domain name by the registrant, demonstrable preparations, bonafide offering of goods or services 2. Recognition: The Registrant is commonly knowingly by the disputed domain name 3. Maintain Sanctity of the domain name: The registrant is making a legitimate, non-commercial or fair use of the domain name and there is no intent of commercial gain to mislead or divert the consumers. The registrant is not involved in tarnishment of trademark or service mark.