Embracing the advancement of technology in the IP sector, copyrights can now be filed through online mode as well. To copyright the work, the applicant has to file the copyright application along with four copies of the work in Form XIV. The said documents are inclusive of statements of particulars and statements of further particulars. The applicant is required to file the application along with the prescribed fees. The applicant can also file the application by sending the same to the copyright office via speed post or courier.
Particulars required for filing copyright:
- Name and address of the Applicant
- Nature of applicant, nationality and type of work.
- Title of the work
- If case of artistic work- four copies of the work.
- If the applicant is not the author of the work, details the author and NOC from the author.
- Power of Attorney.
Duration for Registration:
For the work to be copyrighted, it takes around 3-4 months without any objection. In case of any objections, it usually takes around 6-12 months.
Examination of the Copyright Application in India:
- Once the application is filed, the copyright office issues filing number for the said application and gives a filing receipt.
- The application is then formally examined by the Copyright Office for formality defects and if any found, the same is communicated to the applicant in order to clarify and clear the defects.
- Once the defects and objections are cleared, the copyright office, upon satisfaction of the applicant, accepts the application and issues registration certificate to the applicant.
E-filing of the Copyright Application:
All copyright application are now required to be filed online and physical filing is completely stopped in India. The applicant has to file the application via the official website of the copyright office www.copyright.gov.in or in case of any difficulties, has to send the application by speed post/ registered post mentioning beforehand the mobile number. Email address and correspondence address along with Form XIV, as diary number will be issued through mobile or email address.
Advantages of E-filing:
- Ease of Filing.
- Saves time, money and efforts.
- Can be accessed 24*7 and 365 days.
- Anytime And Anywhere Access to filing
- Ease of tracking of the application.
Cost of filing of Copyright in India:
The government fee to file copyright application in India is Rs.500 per copy. This fees is exclusive of professional fees and other ancillary charges incurred in the process of application.